Saturday, October 25, 2008

Tapering to the extreme and running in cold weather.

Since the Staten Island half marathon, I have just ran three 8mi runs. For better or for worse the Nov2 marathon tapering started couple of weeks too early. Part of the reason for cooling the training a bit has been the dull pain in right foot metatarsal. After seeing Denna Kaster dropping out due to fracture in metatarsal, not keeping high mileage seemed like common sense. To be fair, thats just an excuse but really i have been to busy to run.

The three runs included one run couple of days back in cold 45 degree weather. I had learnt from past that running in grass freezes the leg faster so I avoided running on grass for the most part. The run was fine at about 9:45 pace but the feet were less sensitive than usual and it took a couple of extra steps to notice stones digging into the sole. It is a little concerning because less sensitive sole can result in more risk of puncture injury. But it should not be a show stopper. THe previous run was also in relatively cold weather and I ventured into dark bridal path. Inevitably I stepped on a sharp gravel stone and it was too late by the time I senses it causing excruciating pain. BUt the pain was gone in few minutes and after inspecting the area after coming back home, I couldnt see anything. Sounds like lack of sensitivity is somehow offset by stronger pain in cold.

I cant really do a long run this weekend as its just one more week to the marathon but may be I will do 10-12mi run this weekend.  Since its raining, I will probably just do a quick 4miler now on Saturday morning and the "last 10-miler run" tomorrow. Tomorrow's run basically is on the last 10-miles of the NYC marathon route but on the sidewalk/bike lane (1st ave has a bike lane) instead on main street. I am a bit skeptical about running on sidewalks so much barefoot a week before marathon so I may do this in vibrams. Undecided.

BF in NY for 710.7mi (with shoes 888.8mi on target for 1000mi)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - barefoot. Now that's extreme. And cool...

Now I don't run barefoot, but running on the sidewalks messes me up for sure. Tends to give me shinsplints.

Definitely take it easy this week and I'm sure you're body will be ready to go next Sunday!

Caveman said...

Thanks. Unless I get a cold like last year; I plan to be 100% by Sunday...