Saturday, February 14, 2009

WOD, form improvement for C2, Dips and Cleans

WOD#54 DL 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 (max 135# PR)
Progression 7continuous 65#, 85#, 95#, 115# and then 1 each rep of 135#. This was NOT max effort partly because my left front hip muscle seem to hurt in squats and had sharp pain during first rep so I decided to stop at 135#

WOD#55 UpperArms! 3x(250m row + 21SDHP45# + 15PU) 23:43@153/188
Sub row for 400m run at 6mi/min for a round and sub 65#assisted DSHP for one round due to crowd.
I discovered proper form for C2 rower after watching video by one of the C2 experts on crossfit. Trick is to make very long range of motion by bending forward and making a long stroke back followed by slow and deliberate trip back. One way to coordinate the two legs is to count one for the pull and count TWO for way back. The resulting improvement in efficiency was remarkable.

Sumo Deadlift Highpull didnt go so well as I sort of had my hands positioned too far apart making it somewhere in between SDHP and clean. I wish my gym had KBs which would have eliminated this problem. In general, it it pretty obvious that now I can do the motion of some of these more complex weight lifting motions and clearly I have muscular strength to do light weights but cannot perform due to lack of form or perhaps lack of muscle memory to perform the motions right without making an effort. As I increase the loads, this lack of efficiency will become progressively more important.

Pullups were incredibly hard despite nice two day break which bothered me during the workout. It wasnt untill the workout was over that I realized that all the three segments of wod were focusing on same muscles despite seemingly very different workouts. 

WOD#56 45doubleU + 45clean/semisquat65# + 45dips + 45doubleU 48:52@133/170
Form is less than perfect for clean and squat. For some reason, I could not keep myback straght at beginning of squat and thought I was getting pain when I tried to look up to help this problem. I had to raise the stopper higher a bit to help this problem. But all in all, 45 reps were tough. 

Also doubleunders needs more practice. I made sure I didnt count lots of incomplete doubleunders which only added to this workout. Despite 90 reps, I have yet to do two back to back double unders. Interestingly enough, first 45 DUs took 5minutes while the second 45DUs took 9minutes. I dont think the arms or legs were tired but my coordination had deteriorated.

On the brightside, I realized that I could in fact do back to back dips (I have been doing jumping dips assuming I couldnt do back to back dips). I did 11 sets of 4 dips (excl first/last jumping part). Most of the dips were not "deep" enough but I did manage to squeeze a few deep dips just to get a taste. Clearly another classic whole body workout if done to complete range of motion.


BF in NY for 836mi
WOD#54 DL 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 (max 135# PR)
WOD#55 UpperArms! 3x(250m row + 21SDHP45# + 15PU) 23:43@153/188
WOD#56 45doubleU + 45clean/semisquat65# + 45dips + 45doubleU 48:52@133/170

No comments: